Wednesday 24 August 2011

Anti-Procrastination.

   In less than 3 weeks I'll be starting a BA in Photography, that means 3 years of studying towards a degree in the subject that I have a love/hate relationship with. I love it because it means so much to me, I think it's one of the most important advances in the last hundred years, from 12 hour long exposures to achieve a grainy picture to perfect images of anything, anywhere. Less than seventy years ago, who would have thought we could achieve an image like the one below?

An image of The Trifid Nebula, taken by the Hubble Telescope, is a stellar nursery. 9,000 light years from here, where stars are being born.
  
    Like seriously? I just think that this is just unbelievable incredible. But until space travel is a regular occurrence and can be funded through goodwill bakes, I will just have to stick to more terrestrial subjects.
    
    The hate comes from finding it so difficult to get inspired, it just happens, so I've always found working to a brief very hard; this is where I will potentially fail in my degree. But I really hope not. Whenever I think of ideas for a project or shoot, it has always been done before, and if you think of taking a more original angle on it, that has been done! Maybe my approach this year will be technique and getting the lighting, subject and setting right above all else. Argh, scary. 


    Anyway, I was looking through the new pins on my latest love, and I found this. 


   To get myself ready for my course, I'll be doing this. In general, I take photos when I want to, whether it's to document an event that particularly interests me, try some techniques out (recently milk drops), or simply taking photos of my environment through the seasons, I just do it when I want. So, being able to work to a brief and force myself to take images on a daily basis and be inspired is going to be a tall order, maybe this little project will help?

   I'll be uploading every day to my flickr, so look out for my updates, and add me there too :)

Cheers, m'dears!

No comments:

Post a Comment